Saturday, March 26, 2011

A day in Tangier

Yesterday we visited to Tangier, a Northern city at the very tip of Morocco from which you can see Spain across the ocean. It's a pretty city surrounded by sand and water. On our way there, we stopped inside the Hercules Cave right outside the city, a cave build by men with myths that Hercules himself once passed through it. The cave itself is very small, but there is an opening inside which overlooks the Atlantic Coast and is shaped just like the continent of Africa. Very cool.
We also learned that Morocco had been the first country to accept America's independence. Therefore, the only U.S. historical landmark outside of the U.S. is based in Tangier- the Legation of the U.S.A. It's a museum/research center, which holds paintings, historical and research books, minuscule figurines of the American Revolution, pics of Moroccan leaders with past U.S. presidents and a library filled with books on the history of both countries. There was even a copy of the letter that George Washington once wrote to the Sultan of Morocco.
In the evening, we went to a restaurant called Miami Beach for seafood which is supposed to be amazing in Tangier since it's on the coast. I ordered shrimp and out came a dozen, fully fledged with eyes and several little legs. Both disgusting and fascinating but it tasted pretty good.
Tinora and I shared dessert, as always. Chocolate mousse- delish. We also had riveting conversations about how elephants go to graveyards when they can sense they're about to die. "I would be so sad if my pet elephant went to the graveyard!"

After dinner, we hung out in the hotel for awhile. The girls went out around midnight, but since I wasn't feeling well, I called it a night. "No, I'm not sick Tinora, I just have a horrible cough and a sore throat!"

This morning we got up and walked around for a bit and went by the water. Parts of Tangier remind me of Miami. Then in the afternoon, we left for the city of Chefchauen and passed some of the most incredible views I've ever seen in my life.
Blog post on Chef coming up soon.